Thursday, 22 December 2011

Glitters and disclaimers

How many of you use gorgeous glitters on your cakes?

We asked our fans on

79% of you said no; 15% said that you did and 6% only used glitter if the customer asked for it.

Glitters labeled up as non toxic are not edible and should not be eaten.

On a range on glitter dusts available the following disclaimer is in place- pay particular attention to the last sentence:

Non toxic glitters can be used on decorations that are easily removed. If consumed, then the product will cause no harm and will simply pass through diring digestion. This product can not be classed as edible as this would mean it is digestible and is classed as a food, therefore we simply have to label it as “Non-Toxic”

I don't use glitters on my cakes, although I was given some fabulous red glitter in my Jane Asher goodie bag from the Cake Crawl that I organised earlier this year, and I always ensure that I use pasta as support and not cocktail sticks.

For those of you who have businesses, it would be a good idea to have disclaimers in place that customers sign so that they know there are non-edible products on their cake. You could even use some of the wording above to ensure that that recipients of your cakes are fully informed.

Things you might like to consider in your disclaimer are:

- plastic toy decorations
- non edible toppers
- jewels and beads
- glittered toppers
- wired decorations
- fresh flowers
- ribbons

Here is an example of a disclaimer used by the owner of Cake-y-licious- Louise
******DISCLAIMER: ******
The Food Standards Agency has issued a notice of an enquiry regarding the use of glitters used on cakes and cupcakes

These Non-Toxic glitters, which have been used in baking for many years, have now been put under testing to meet with EU laws. The Glitter is safe to be ingested as it is Non Toxic, however because the body cannot digest the glitter (i.e. it passes through your digestive system unchanged) it cannot be classified as a ‘food’ and has therefore been classified as ‘For Decoration Purpose Only’

For Decoration Purpose Only: - The Non Toxic Glitters can be used on decorations that can be removed from the cake/cupcakes prior to eating. NOT sprinkled directly onto the cake/cupcake.

This has caused a lot of debate and discussions on Cake Decorating forums the last few days, with people trying to find an ‘Edible’ alternative that offers the same quality of sparkle, to sprinkle directly on the cake/cupcake – unfortunately there are none!

Therefore should you order a cake that requires that extra bit of sparkle, I will be able to offer you the following alternatives, until such a time as the Food Standards Agency re-classifies the non-toxic glitter or a suitable substitute comes on the market.

1. Non Toxic Glitter can still be used as long as the decorations are removed prior to eating – this may mean a slight adjustment to your cake design
2. Edible Magic sparkles
3. Pearl Lustre Spray – which gives a subtle shimmer
4. Coloured Lustre Dusts & Paints – Which give a shimmer
5. Coloured Sugar

I apologise for any inconvenience caused and would like to stress again that these glitters will not cause harm if ingested. However we all have to follow Environmental Health and FSA Guidelines

Customers: - I would be happy to answer any questions you may have regarding this

Always be wary of items that you put on your cake being food safe.  I have seen people put fresh flowers directly onto cakes, when you must put a protective layer between the cake the the non-edible decoration- like a piece of acetate (clear plastic sheet).

Here is the link to the FSA document about non edible items on cakes

What are your thoughts on glitters?

1 comment:

  1. i have used glitters in the past and my local cake shop sells these at edible materials but since the FSA has had a clamp down on them i am now looking for something else to add sparkle. I am concerned however with M&S advertising edible gold glitter on their christmas pud!! its so obviously the non-toxic stuff and not edible, ive not found anything with this sparkle being edible!!! x x x